Report: Moussa Dembele provides update on his future

Chelsea target Moussa Dembele has provided an update on his future and revealed where he will be playing football for the rest of the season. The Daily Mail has reported that the French striker has confirmed his commitment to Lyon, despite interest from all over Europe.

Frank Lampard is keen on bringing in some more firepower this month and it seemed like Dembele was one of his top targets. The Blues reportedly had a £34 million bid for the 23-year-old turned down earlier in the month (Sky) and it now seems that any further bids will be unsuccessful too.

(Photo by Tim Clayton/Corbis via Getty Images)

After the club’s French League Cup semi-final victory over Lille, Dembele said: ”I am a Lyon player and I will remain so until the end of the season. I do not think that there will be a departure this winter. Lots of things are being said. It is up to me to ignore that and remain concentrated on the pitch.”

This is a real blow for Chelsea, who are in desperate need of a new striker. Michy Batshuayi and Olivier Giroud could both be on their way out of the club this month. Even if they stay, Lampard does not see them as suitable back up for Tammy Abraham.

(Photo by Darren Walsh/Chelsea FC via Getty Images)

Abraham himself picked up an injury in Tuesday’s 2-2 draw with Arsenal and could be set for a spell on the sidelines. This leaves the Blues seriously lacking upfront. Now that a move for Dembele has been ruled out, they will need to re-think and consider other attacking options.

Recent graduate in Business and Management at the University of Portsmouth. A lifelong Chelsea fan passionate about all things football.