'Why not?': £24m Chelsea player says he's ready to sign a new contract with the club
Chelsea’s Marcos Alonso has suggested he would be ready to sign a new contract to stay at Stamford Bridge.
For now, a lot of Blues attention is surrounding the futures of their players Cesar Azpilicueta, Antonio Rudiger and Andreas Christensen. It’s very alarming that all three defenders are out of contract at the end of the season.
However, Alonso’s explained in an interview that he’d be open to the idea of extending his own deal.
The £24million wing-back has a contract with the Blues that runs until 2023, but he’s spoken openly about the possibility of signing new under new terms.
“Why not?” Alonso said regarding signing another contract.
“For me I still have another year-and-a-half on my contract. I’m not thinking further than Saturday at the moment. It’s a question where maybe I don’t know the answer and it doesn’t just depend on what I want. But as I said before, I will always try to give 100 per cent and always focus on the next game. I am very happy here so why not?”
Marcos Alonso’s had so much success since arrival in 2016.
He’s got the chance to add another piece of silverware to his own collection tomorrow with Chelsea’s FIFA Club World Cup final against Palmeiras, too.
Chelsea will need to replace
Alonso has been an incredible servant during his time at the Bridge, albeit he’s not always been the most popular individual.
The left wing-back is a superb attacking threat with 26 goals and 20 assists in his Chelsea career to date. However, he can still be suspect in defensive situations and his days should be numbered for that main reason.
Goal reported earlier this week that Chelsea will consider Brighton’s 23-year-old Marc Cucurella as a target if they end up getting rid of Alonso in the next window. He could be great long-term competition for Ben Chilwell at full-back.
It feels like there may be wholesale changes going on in the Blues defence some stage soon.