Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel was ready to let young striker Armando Broja leave the club, but the club decided to give the player a lucrative six-year deal, according to The Guardian.
The 20-year-old signed the new contract, which ties him to the club until 2028, earlier this month.
“We are delighted Armando has committed to Chelsea,” Blues co-owner Todd Boehly said about the extension at the time (via the club’s official website).
“He is a young and exciting striker and a big part of our plans moving forward.”
The plans Boehly referred to, however, might not have been Tuchel’s.
The Guardian claims that Tuchel was prepared to offload the Albania international last summer.
The former Chelsea manager reportedly believed that Broja was not ready for his first team, particularly given West Ham’s £30million offer was said to be on the table.
The club was obviously against Tuchel’s reported view on the academy graduate as the contract extension suggests.
This might have explained Broja’s lack of minutes so far this season.
Broja only made five appearances as a substitute in all competitions with just over 100 minutes of action in total.
Tuchel even decided to start new signing Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who was not fully recovered from his facial injury, ahead of the young striker in Tuesday’s 1-0 defeat to Dinamo Zagreb.
Broja was not the only player whom Tuchel wanted to offload, however, as the report also mentions Hakim Ziyech’s collapsed summer exit.
Earlier Fabrizio Romano also highlighted that the former Ajax man’s situation at the club is one of the several disagreements between Tuchel and Boehly.
Keep up to date with all the latest Chelsea news and opinion by following The Chelsea Chronicle’s Facebook and Twitter accounts.