Willian has reportedly turned down Chelsea’s two-year extension offer as his contract expires at the end of this season.
A report from Brazilian website UOL (via Sport Witness) suggests that Willian and Chelsea failed to meet an agreement, as Willian wants a three-year deal instead of the two-year contract Chelsea offered.
Last week Willian told Brazilian channel Esporte Interativo: “Chelsea offered me two years, and they are not going to change what they offered.”
He also said the situation was “difficult”.
The 31-year-old posted a picture on his Instagram after the FA Cup clash against Liverpool, with a caption saying: “Whatever happens, I will always do my best for this club! Thank you for your support!”
Chelsea has been known for having a one-year contract policy for players aged 30 and over. Although, the West London side has previously broken the policy, which had an effect on some former players such as Cesc Fabregas and Gary Cahill, by offering a two-year deal for David Luiz last year.
Chelsea have signed Hakim Ziyech and are linked to Jadon Sancho
The recent announcement of Ajax Amsterdam’s Hakim Ziyech signing also suggests Chelsea are looking to rejuvenate their winger department, with two young promising wingers Christian Pulisic and Callum Hudson-Odoi already at Lampard’s disposal.
Willian has been a good servant to the club since his arrival in 2013. However, despite featuring regularly for Chelsea, Willian has never reached the potential Chelsea were hoping for in terms of the end products.
Having scored some important goals for Chelsea, such as one he bagged against Liverpool last Tuesday, his number of goals has never reached a double-digit figure (his best was nine goals scored in all competition in 2017/19).
Chelsea are also reportedly keen to bring in Borussia Dortmund’s Jadon Sancho in the summer which would make it even more difficult for the club to justify offering a long-term contract to Willian.