Tottenham Hotspur manager Jose Mourinho insisted he focuses on his team, despite signalling concerns over Hakim Ziyech and Timo Werner’s imminent Chelsea arrivals.
The Blues announced Werner’s transfer yesterday after previously reaching an agreement with Ajax for Hakim Ziyech back in February.
This could arguably push Chelsea into next season’s title race, especially if they managed to strengthen their defence in the summer.
To everyone at @ChelseaFC :
I’m incredibly happy to be joining the Blues next season! It feels like the right step for me and I am delighted to become a part of Chelsea FC. Really looking forward to playing for such a fantastic and historic club!
See you soon Chelsea fans! 👋 pic.twitter.com/WLcagJCHWt
— Timo Werner (@TimoWerner) June 18, 2020
Not every club, however, can spend big in this transfer window during the pandemic financial situation as clubs are losing out revenues, particularly from the ticket sales.
It’s even fair to say Chelsea are among few exceptional cases, partly thanks to their two inactive transfer windows.
Mourinho is among those who could be forced to work with a limited budget this summer and he has had a surprisingly calm reaction to Chelsea’s early transfer businesses.
Speaking to the media on Thursday, he said (as quoted by BBC): “So (Manchester) United bought (Bruno) Fernandes, Chelsea’s buying Ziyech and Werner, they can do what they want.
“It’s not our problem. We focus on ourselves.
“We are going to improve our squad in the way we can do it. No problem.”
But the former Chelsea manager also admitted Tottenham could be left behind if they fail to bring in new faces in the summer transfer window.
“You have now examples already of clubs investing and making important movements in the market and we are still nine matches away from the end of the season,” he said.
“We know that we are not going to be in the same league, in the same world, as clubs that are going to do completely different to us.”