Tuchel admits key player's suspension 'a big blow' for Chelsea ahead of Atletico Madrid clash
Thomas Tuchel admitted that Mason Mount’s absence in the second leg clash against Atletico Madrid is “a big blow” to Chelsea.
The 22-year-old has featured in 11 of the 12 games Chelsea have played under the new manager and started in nine of those games.
Under Tuchel, Mount has turned into a focal point of Chelsea attack in an interesting wider No.10 role.
Unfortunately, Tuchel will not be able to rely on the England international tomorrow night due to suspension
And the German has explained why it will be a big loss to Chelsea.
“We [will be] without two key players tomorrow in Mount and Jorginho,” Tuchel said in his press conference on Tuesday.
“Especially with Mason for his offensive skills and his power to break the lines with strong dribbling and his shots.
“Atletico are one of the best in Europe [in terms of] not giving shooting chances away, so of course it’s a big blow to miss an offensive player for a game such as this one.”
Aside from these Jorginho and Mount, Tuchel has also ruled injured Thiago Silva and Tammy Abraham out of tomorrow’s game.
As Tuchel said, Mount’s ability to find space between the lines is important, but Chelsea have proved that they are not dependent on it with the 2-0 win against Everton earlier this month.
Tuchel will also have plenty of options; Timo Werner, Kai Havertz, Callum Hudson-Odoi, Christian Pulisic, and Hakim Ziyech can all play in the two attacking roles behind the striker.
Although, unlike Mount who thrives in tight spaces, most of these attackers might not be as effective when playing against Atleti’s highly compact defensive strategies.