Tuchel says 22-year-old might have 'forced his way' into Chelsea's first-team squad

Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel said Trevoh Chalobah has earned himself a potential first-team promotion with his impressive performances in pre-season.

The 22-year-old made the starting line-up in the UEFA Super Cup win over Villarreal on Wednesday, his third consecutive start in the pre-season so far under Tuchel.

While Cesar Azpilicueta, Thiago Silva and Andreas Christensen’s late arrivals certainly helped his case, Chalobah still had to earn the trust of the manager — and he clearly did.

The question is now whether it was enough to secure a spot in the first-team squad for the upcoming season.

Tuchel admitted that he has yet to make his decision, but Chalobah has now entered the first-team squad discussion.

Photo by Catherine Ivill/Getty Images

“Absolutely, that’s why he played,” Tuchel said when asked whether he is considering adding Chalobah into his Premier League squad (via Hayters TV).

“He played [well] against Bournemouth, Arsenal, and then Tottenham.

“Again today [vs Villarreal] he was very strong.

“So yeah, he’s forced his way into our thinking, and let’s see where he goes.

“We still have some days to decide his personal future. But he has shown his value to the team.”

Photo by Chris Lee – Chelsea FC/Chelsea FC via Getty Images

Chronicle view

Chalobah has adapted quite well to Tuchel’s 3-4-3 system, having played in the middle and on the right side of the back three.

That is certainly what Tuchel would want from a potential backup centre-back.

Chelsea are reportedly still in the race to sign Sevilla’s Jules Kounde.

Reports suggest that Kurt Zouma might still be on his way out, which could pave the way for Chalobah’s inclusion.

We will soon hear about Tuchel’s decision since Chelsea will have to register their Premier League squad before 12pm on Friday, August 13.

A Chelsea fan who loves football statistics. Studied sports journalism at the University of Sunderland.