Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger said he was flattered by the reported interest from Bayern Munich but insisted he would not let it become a distraction.

In less than three months, the 28-year-old will legally be able to sign a pre-contract with a new club and leave Chelsea on a free transfer at the end of the season.

This puts a lot of pressure on Chelsea amid the reported ongoing negotiations over a new contract with the defender’s representatives.

It is not only that they are at risk of losing millions in transfer fees, but replacing such a key player could also prove troublesome for Chelsea next summer.

Fortunately, the contract situation does not seem to have had an impact on Rudiger’s performance on the pitch so far.

And the centre-back himself has confirmed that the season with Chelsea is his priority at the moment.

Chelsea v Southampton - Premier League
(Photo by Chloe Knott – Danehouse/Getty Images)

“Of course it honours you,” the Germany international said about Bayern rumours during his press conference for the national team on Tuesday (via Sport1).

 

“But I don’t get distracted. I have an obligation to my club to perform.

“I have to prove myself every game and not be distracted by rumours.”

RB Leipzig v FC Bayern München - Bundesliga
(Photo by Matthias Hangst/Getty Images)

Bayern chief has previously denied reported interest in Rudiger

After Bayern manager Julian Nagelsmann expressed his admiration for Rudiger’s “incredibly good aggression”, their sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic clarified that they are not in the market for a new centre-back.

“It’s not okay when we talk about players of other clubs,” Salihamidzic told DAZN (via Sky Germany).

“[FC Bayern are] really well-staffed in centre-back positions.”

The situation, obviously, could easily change at the end of the season.

The thing is that Bayern also have a centre-back on the final year of his contract in Niklas Sule and will have a space fill in if he leaves.

Have something to tell us about this article?