RB Leipzig manager Julian Nagelsmann has reacted to Timo Werner’s reported wish to waive the Champions League matches to join Chelsea early.

The 24-year-old has been Leipzig’s primary goalscorer this season, scoring 32% (25 goals) from their total goals in Bundesliga.

Losing such an important figure would have a significant impact on their plan to challenge for titles, but with Werner having a release clause in his contract, the decision is out of their hands.

Nagelsmann clearly wishes to keep his striker as he told Kicker: “It’s not like I read somewhere that I don’t fight for him.

“He knows how much I like him and what I think of him. That’s why he plays every week and also played when he didn’t play as well as he can. That’s confirmation enough.

“Nevertheless, some things go beyond the coach’s wish. Each player has his own career and life plan.”

(Photo by TF-Images/Getty Images)

A report from Bild claimed Werner has decided not to play the remaining Champions League matches with Leipzig as he plans to join Chelsea after Bundesliga ends this month.

 

In response, Nagelsmann reiterated that the transfer is yet to be official and there has been no final decision from the UEFA about the competition.

He said: “The transfer is still not completed, so we don’t need to talk about step two.

“If step one is done, we’ll see how the Champions League continues.”

(Photo by TF-Images/Getty Images)

In a last week’s interview, the former Hoffenheim manager also spoke about wanting to keep his squad intact for the Champions League, including Werner.

“If a player leaves a club, that would be a sensible solution for me, yes,” he told Spox on June 12.

“There might be some confusing scenarios, but it would be very strange for me if it should come to the situation that you suddenly play against your own player.”

Have something to tell us about this article?