Report: 'World class' player has just done big u-turn and may now stay at current club, after being linked with Chelsea
Chelsea might miss out on signing Ousmane Dembele due to a positive conversation held between his agents and Xavi yesterday.
Sport report that Moussa Sissoko and Marco Lichsteiner met with the Barcelona boss on Wednesday to lay out their client’s thoughts.
According to the Spanish outlet, Dembele’s representatives told Xavi of the player’s desire to renew his contract and fight for the cause.
Major plot twist in the Dembele drama
If true, this is a revelation.
For all the world it seemed the 24-year-old would be leaving the Camp Nou once his deal expired in the summer.
Xavi openly voiced his frustration at the situation that has been dragging on for months.
“The club has made the decision that if he doesn’t renew his contract, we need to find a solution, one for him, one for us,” said the iconic midfielder only last week.
The solution, it seemed, was to exile the Frenchman and push him out of the club.
He hasn’t been included in either of Barca’s last two matchday squads, leaving many assuming the exit door had opened wide.
No Ousmane for the blue men
This may have caught Chelsea’s attention, as suggestions a move could be made for Dembele reached the surface on several occasions.
However, it appears Thomas Tuchel will not be able to reunite with his former Borussia Dortmund pupil.
Sport claim that the forward is now ‘100% committed’ to the La Liga side and wants to help the group ‘achieve its goals’.
After such a long saga of uncertainty, it must be pleasing for Xavi to finally have one of the game’s most expensive signings back on board
After all, it was the iconic midfielder who described Dembele as having the potential to be ‘world class’.
For Barca’s sake, let’s hope this prophecy finally comes true; we’ve waited long enough.