RB Leipzig manager Julian Nagelsmann has said striker Timo Werner’s reported transfer to Chelsea is not yet set in stone but resigned to losing his stars.
An earlier report from the Evening Standard claimed the 24-year-old’s move to Stamford Bridge should be completed this week, after being slowed down by logistics of completing medical tests during pandemic restrictions.
But according to Leipzig young boss Nagelsmann, although he understands some of his players could leave this summer, there is nothing concrete about Werner’s departure.
He told Sport1 on Sunday: “The transfer is not fixed, you have to emphasise that.
“I’m a coach with a realistic view and dreams.
“I’m aware that one or another highly talented player will leave us. It’s up to us, then, to find new players who can follow in such big footsteps.”
Nagelsmann’s comment does not necessarily refute the previous reports claiming Werner has agreed to join Chelsea, however.
In this case, as long as Chelsea are prepared to pay Werner’s release clause which is reportedly worth €60 million (£52m), all they need is Werner’s approval.
Previously Nagelsmann also spoke about potentially having to replace the Germany international.
The former Hoffenheim manager told Spox: “That’s not possible, you cannot clone a player.
“If Timo Werner would leave us, it would primarily be about replacing 34 scorer points.
“That would be the main task, which you could perhaps not solve with just one player.
“It’s important that we get the same output at the end of the day, that’s the complex part of the issue.”