'They did look': Leeds did consider making a move to sign 25-year-old Chelsea player, journalist says
Leeds United reportedly considered Chelsea’s forgotten man Kenedy as a transfer target last month.
The Athletic journalist and Leeds correspondent Phil Hay claims that the 25-year-old was on the Premier League club’s radar in January.
“They (Leeds) did look at Kenedy at Chelsea as well,” Hay said [4 February, 16m15s].
However, the Brazilian left-footer remained at Stamford Bridge beyond deadline-day in England. In fact, he’s now been added to Chelsea’s Premier League squad for the rest of the season.
The versatile South American, who can play as a winger or full-back, was recalled from his loan at Flamengo by Chelsea last month to reinforce the squad.
With Ben Chilwell ruled out through injury for the rest of the season, he does provide another option at left wing-back for manager Thomas Tuchel.
It’s easy to see why Leeds set their sights on him due to his pace, athleticism and versatility. The Yorkshire giants failed to add to their squad during the entire January window, though.
Rare Chelsea appearance this weekend
It’ll be interesting to see if Kenedy plays in Saturday’s FA Cup fourth-round tie at home to Plymouth Argyle. It would be his first competitive Chelsea appearance since 2018 if he does get on the pitch.
He’s played 27 games in the Blues first team since arriving at the club in 2015, but has spent the majority of his time out on loan.
The trickster should see it as one last lifeline to prove himself at the Bridge.
Kenedy’s been pictured in training this week ahead of the Plymouth match, so it appears like he’s in contention. He’s a potential understudy to Marcos Alonso at left wing-back from now until the rest of the season.