Fabrizio Romano says Chelsea have yet to converse with Barcelona over the possible transfer of Sergino Dest.
Romano responded on Twitter to a question about the validity of the reports linking Dest with a move from Spain to South West London.
The transfer guru said there had been no discussions between the two clubs at this moment in time, but did leave the door open for such conversations to be instigated.
Why is there a demand for Dest?
Dest’s name has been put forward as a potential answer to solve Chelsea’s wing-back problems.
Thomas Tuchel is going to be without Ben Chilwell and Reece James for a sustained period, meaning his options in this particular position are running thin.
Lewis Hall stepped up to the plate as a left-back during Saturday’s routine FA Cup victory over Chesterfield.
Yet, the teenager cannot be expected to play every Premier League minute from now until Chilwell or James return.
Neither can Marcos Alonso or Cesar Azpilicueta, whose ages simply will not allow a constant run in the side.
Tuchel has tinkered with the likes of Hakim Ziyech, Saul Niguez, Christian Pulisic and Callum Hudson-Odoi as unorthodox wing-back or full-backs, yet none of these are permanent solutions.
Hence why the Chelsea hierarchy are in the market for a player like Dest, who can be deployed on the left or right of the defence.
Dest or Digne?
Lucas Digne seemed to be the club’s first-choice transfer target, yet Romano claimed any dealings for the unwanted Everton man were now ‘very unlikely.’
Dest would certainly be a decent alternative to Digne.
The American international might still be getting up to speed with life in a Barca jersey since his £19m (BBC) move from Ajax in 2020, but speed is something he certainly does possess.
UEFA clocked the 21-year-old’s top speed in this season’s Champions League as 32.1 km/h.
He will certainly need to get up to Chelsea’s pace quickly if he becomes their first, or only, January recruit.