Darren Bent has questioned the reported decision from Chelsea today to omit Romelu Lukaku from the squad against Liverpool.
Lukaku, 28, has been at the centre of a Chelsea storm in the last few days after controversial comments he made earlier in December surfaced.
The Belgian frontman has come under-fire because he told Sky Italia he’s “not very happy” with his current situation at Stamford Bridge due to the manager’s formation. Also, he mentioned he would like to play for ex-club Inter Milan again.
Chelsea host Liverpool on Sunday in a vital Premier League fixture and Lukaku’s apparently been left out by Thomas Tuchel.
According to The Athletic, Lukaku is not in today’s squad to face Liverpool at Stamford Bridge.
Rio Ferdinand recently said Chelsea fans shouldn’t be hammering Lukaku in the aftermath of his comments, but Tuchel’s sent out a big message at the weekend by not including him in the group.
Pundit Bent has reacted to today’s news by suggesting it’s a mistake not to pick the centre-forward.
Tuchel sends firm Chelsea message
Yes, Lukaku’s absence today is a blow when you consider he’s scored two goals in his last two games and provides a serious threat in attack. It means either Kai Havertz or Timo Werner could be in line for an opportunity through the middle.
However, Chelsea boss Tuchel has now publicly made it clear that Lukaku’s comments were not acceptable by effectively dropping him.
The Blues manager mentioned in his press conference possible disciplinary actions behind closed doors and the player’s paid the highest price by missing out on arguably the club’s biggest league game of the season so far.
It’s worrying to think what the Belgian’s future will be now.
Tuchel’s not the kind of manager that will shy away from a big decision, though.
Many will feel that the German boss is putting the club first ahead of the player.
Keep up to date with all the latest Chelsea news and opinion by following The Chelsea Chronicle’s Twitter account here.