Journalist Raphael Honigstein has told BBC Sport that Chelsea’s new owners will be keen to make a bid for Borussia Dortmund’s Jude Bellingham next summer.
The 19-year-old was one of the shining lights in England’s poor performance last Friday, as they fell to a 1-0 defeat to Italy in the Nations League.
He has established himself as one of the best midfielders in the world already, with him showing in the Champions League in particular that he has the quality to dominate at the highest level.
Despite having a long-term contract with the Bundesliga side, it is widely-expected that Bellingham is expected to move next summer, with Europe’s elite sides all interested in a deal.
Honigstein has claimed that Todd Boehly will be hoping to keep up his impactful first few months as Chelsea owner by looking to sign the starlet, with them fearful of missing out on one of the most promising players in world football.
He said: “Clubs will start queuing, because whoever misses out on him will feel like they are missing out on a generational talent of English football.
Boehly wants Bellingham
“I feel he can play in any system in any team. The system changes with him. In a couple of years the system will evolve by him being there.
“He is like the all-action box-to-box classic English general. Maybe Liverpool come the closest to playing like this.
“Before he went to Dortmund he had big offers from Manchester United. Everyone will clamour for his signing, including Chelsea with the new owners.”
With Boehly certainly not hiding from controversy in his tenure so far, he can get a lot of Blues fans onboard for good if he can confirm a deal for Bellingham.
With N’golo Kante’s future notably not clear at this stage, the Blues could be in the need for another world-class operator in the middle.
If the new owners don’t keep Kante any longer, Bellingham will be one of the only players in Europe who can replace him.